Posts

Showing posts from January 16, 2019

Newly Appointed IGP Vows Restore Lost Glory Of Nigeria Police, Questions Past Leadership

Image
Update::   Acting Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, on Wednesday said with quality leadership which he plans to bring on board as IG, the lost glory of the Nigeria Police Force would be restored. Adamu noted that the Force was blessed with intellectually gifted, exceptionally dedicated and professionally sound officers and men but the absence of quality leadership had been the setback of the police. Adamu, who stated this in his maiden speech, at the formal handing over ceremony at the Force headquarters Abuja, said as IG, he would draw from his national and international policing leadership to provide the missing link to ensure the dignity of the Force is restored. “Among you seated in this hall today are some of such thorough-bred and passionate professionals who can hold their own among their peers and have consistently distinguished themselves in complex national and international engagements. All that you desire, from my experience, is a transparent, respon...

Painful! Firework Blows Off UNIUYO Student's Fingers (Graphic Photos)

Image
A student of the University of Uyo has lost his fingers after being blown off by firework and is in need of emergency surgery.   As reported, the young man was celebrating 1st day of January when the accident occurred.    The firework was believed to have seven rounds but as the boy held it in his hand and lit it, it exploded on the first round.   He is reportedly a final year student in the faculty of education, UNIUYO.

DRAMA As Two Police Commissioners Resume In Lagos

Image
Update::   There was mild drama Tuesday at the Ikeja Headquarters of the Lagos Police Command as two Police Commissioners resumed duty for the day. It was gathered that at the Government Reservation Area (GRA) headquarters, Edgal Imohimi, the state Police commissioner joined Kayode Egbetokun, a Deputy Commissioner who was on Monday widely reported to be the new commissioner in the state. Mr Edgal, billed to hand over following his redeployment, resumed Tuesday and said he remained in charge, throwing reporters and others at the GRA office into confusion. Earlier, Mr Egbetokun, billed to take over the baton after a joint news conference Tuesday, arrived at the Command ahead of Mr Edgal. But accoding to Premium Times, the handing over could not hold due to an “order from the police headquarters in Abuja”.   First, the entire drama began when the handing over event scheduled for 1:30 pm was shifted to 3pm. The drama took a new turn when, few minutes after 3pm, the...

Research Suggests Eating a Side of Dirt with Your Food Can Help You Lose Weight

Image
Researchers at the University of South Australia claim to have discovered clay materials in a certain type of dirt, which, if consumed with an evening meal can help soak up fat droplets from the gut. Obesity costs the global economy an estimated $2 trillion every year, and countries around the world spend even more trying to prevent it, but a recently-published Australian study suggests that finding a cure to this modern-day epidemic could be as easy as dirt, literally.  Researchers led by PhD candidate Tahnee Dening were investigating how clay materials can improve drug delivery when they discovered that one of the materials she was testing had the remarkable ability to soak up fat droplets in the gut.  The serendipitous discovery immediately signalled Denning that they were on to something big, maybe even a cure for obesity. "It's quite amazing really," Tahnee Dening told Science Daily. "I was investigating the capacity of specifically clay materials to ...

Nike unveils self-lacing shoes, operated by smartphone

Image
Update:: Nike, the global sportswear giant on Tuesday launched some magic shoes that will automatically loosen or tighten when you step into them, and then adapt based on your activity. Wait for it — the Nike Adapt BB shoes, which go on sale on February 17 for $350 in the United States, are controlled by the touch of a button or a smartphone app.

McDonald's loses Big Mac EU trademark battle

Image
Update:: Irish fast food chain Supermac's announced Tuesday it had won a European Union battle against global giant McDonald's over the use of the Big Mac and Mc trademarks. Supermac's asked the European Union Intellectual Property Office to cancel McDonald's use of the trademarks in certain fields.

China's Moon mission sees first seeds sprout

Image
Update:: Seeds taken up to the Moon by China's Chang'e-4 mission have sprouted, says China National Space Administration. It marks the first time any biological matter has grown on the Moon, and is being seen as a significant step towards long-term space exploration. The Chang'e 4 is the first mission to land on and explore the Moon's far side, facing away from Earth. It touched down on 3 January, carrying instruments to analyse the region's geology.

Brexit vote: Donald Tusk suggests UK should stay in EU

Image
Update:: European Council President Donald Tusk has suggested that the UK should stay in the EU, after the prime minister's Brexit deal was rejected in parliament. "If a deal is impossible, and no one wants no deal, then who will finally have the courage to say what the only positive solution is?", he tweeted. MPs voted by 432 votes to 202 to reject the deal, which sets out the terms of Britain's exit from the EU on 29 March. EU officials and politicians have reacted with dismay to the result.

Six dead in attack on upmarket Nairobi hotel complex

Image
Update:: At least six people were killed when an Islamist suicide bomber and gunmen stormed an upmarket hotel and office complex in Nairobi, with police still trying to rescue people trapped inside the compound Wednesday after a siege of over 12 hours. Gunshots rang out sporadically in the capital as police tried to rescue survivors and flush out the attackers, however it was unclear how many were still hiding inside the complex.

Rihanna Sues Her Own Father for Exploiting Her Name Without Permission

Image
Rihanna is suing her father, Ronald Fenty, for exploiting her name in what she says are his own million-dollar business deals. According to a the suit, obtained by USA TODAY, Rihanna has sued her father and his business partner, Moses Perkins, for invasion of privacy and "egregiously and fraudulently" misrepresenting that their company, Fenty Entertainment, is affiliated with the pop star.   Rihanna, whose full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty, says she has nothing to do with her father's company. “Although Mr. Fenty is Rihanna’s father, he does not have, and never has had, authority to act on Rihanna’s behalf," reads the suit filed Tuesday in federal court in Los Angeles. Fraudulent bookings, the lawsuit states, include a $15 million tour in Latin America, along with two concerts in Los Angeles and one in in Las Vegas for $400,000.   Rihanna claims to have nothing to do with those bookings. The lawsuit says she has attempted to stop her father and his busi...