Posts

Showing posts from December 29, 2018

News:::Nigeria needs economic re-engineering - Obi

Image
The vice-presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Peter Obi has said that what Nigeria needs now is a team with a firm understanding of global economic realities to plan the re-engineering of the country along those realities. He said this at Isuofia in the House of Chief Ozomma Uba during the stakeholders meeting of Aguata people on December 27, 2018. Obi who said his visit was by accident, as he had merely come to see a friend, assured that Atiku/ Obi candidacy has the requisite knowledge to turn the economy around, create jobs and tackle unemployment, which, according to him, is the roots of many crimes in the country. Speaking during the event, the Managing Director of Pokobros Nig Ltd and a renowned industrialist, Chief Paul Okonkwo said that the election of Atiku and Obi would mark the beginning of Nigeria's economic rebirth, going by their antecedent of wealth- creation and sound management of resources. Recalling Obi's tenure as the governor of Anambra s...

Entertainment:::Ariana Grande cancels concert

Image
Update:: Ariana Grande has canceled a Las Vegas concert due to ā€œhealth issues,ā€ the singer said. The 25-year-old singer, one of the most popular in the United States, was set to perform at The Cosmopolitan hotel today. ā€œVegas, Iā€™m currently working through some health issues and am beyond sorry I wonā€™t be able to see you this weekend,ā€ she wrote on Instagram. Entertainment website TMZ reported that Grande had bronchitis, citing sources close to the singer. A representative for Grande was not immediately available for comment. Grande finished 2018 with her song ā€œThank U, Nextā€ at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart for the sixth week. Her year also saw the death of ex-boyfriend and rapper Mac Miller in September and her break up with fiance Pete Davidson in October.

Entertainment::::I just want to be a housewife or baby mama - Cossy Ojiakor sets goals for 2019

- Nigerian actress Cossy Ojiakor has taken to social media to list her goals for 2019 - The actress noted that part of her goals for 2019 is to become someone's housewife or babymama - She also noted that she doesn't want to work on anything with too much workload Cossy Ojiakor, a Nigerian actress who became popular due to her endowed figure, has taken to social media to share her goals for 2019. The actress also noted that she was overworked this year. In a post shared on Instagram, Ojiakor revealed that she had been depressed and overworked this year. She also noted that she was unable to meet her goals for 2018. The actress who set new goals for 2019, revealed that she would like to become a housewife with little working. She added that using her brain too much in 2018 stressed her out. According to her, in 2019 she wants to become someone's housewife and babymama. She also noted that she wants a simple life with little workload, shopping and having lots of fun. Read her...

Entertainment::::Nigerian M.C Adejoh dies 8 months after wedding

Update:: Nigerian M.C Nathaniel Adejoh has passed on - A Facebook user identified Agnes Jack shared the sad news on social media - The deceased died shortly after a battle with heart related ailment - He tied the knot in April 2018 and left behind his pregnant wife A Facebook user identified as Agnes Jack shared the sad news on social media and revealed that he was a free spirit who wanted everyone around him to be happy. Sources claim that late Adejoh died after a battle with heart related ailment. His family and friends held a candle night to pay their last respects on December 28 and his remains are to be buried in his home town, Kogi on December 29. Late Nathaniel left behind his pregnant wife. May his soul rest in peace. Meanwhile, just recently, a young Muslim bride-to-be identified as Fawziya Tataru died few hours to her wedding ceremony in Bauchi. The deceased died of an undisclosed ailment shortly after his wedding Walima to Abduljalil Salisu.

News::::Shagariā€™s death is a heavy loss to Nigeria -Ekweremadu

- Senator Ike Ekweremadu has eulogised the late Alhaji Shehu Shagari - The deputy senate president said the death of Shagari is a great loss to Nigeria as a nation - According to him, Shagari was a true democrat and an elder statesman The deputy senate president, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, has expressed deep grief over the passing on of the Second Republic President, Alhaji Shehu Shagari. Ekweremmadu said on Friday in Enugu that Shagariā€™s death was a heavy loss to the nation. He noted that the late elder statesman was a ā€œsage and democratā€. ā€œI received with a heavy heart the news of the passing on of the Second Republic President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Alhaji Shehu Shagari. ā€œHe was a democrat by nature, orientation and conviction. ā€œHe was a patriot par excellence, a detribalised elder statesman, bridge-builder, servant-leader, and an epitome of humility, who served the nation and humanity most creditably. ā€œIn and out of office, Shagari clothed the office of the President with...

News:::We donā€™t adopt candidates, insists IPAC

Image
Update:: This reaction is coming on the heels of stories making rounds that Ogun State Chapter of IPAC on Thursday adopted a governorship candidate during the partyā€™s flag-off in Abeokuta, the state capital. IPACā€™s National Media Committee Secretary, Akinloye Oyeniyi, debunked the purported adoption and warned state chapters against dragging the body into such unnecessary mess or risk being dissolved by the national secretariat. He stated: ā€œWe have gotten report of what transpired in Ogun State today and necessary redress is ongoing. The national secretariat has spoken to the state Chairman, Abayomi Arabambi, and his Assistant Secretary, Obasanjo Obasesan, and they have both denied carrying out such act. ā€œIPAC is the parent body for the entire 91 registered political parties in Nigeria where ideas on how to better enhance, coordinate, engage and moderate the nationā€™s political atmosphere in a drive to better the electoral system and promote equality amongst the political pa...

Foreign News::::Bolsonaro inauguration: Israeli PM Netanyahu lands in Brazil

Image
Update:: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has arrived in Brazil, four days to the Jan. 1 inauguration of President-elect Jair Bolsonaro. Netanyahu opened the first visit to Brazil by a leader of Israel on Friday, saying he hopes for a strong partnership between the two countries. Netanyahu arrived in Rio de Janeiro early before the inauguration to meet with the incoming far-right leader and several other top members of the new administration. The two menā€™s first interaction was at lunch in Copacabana Fort. They then visited a local synagogue. ā€œThrough our mutual cooperation, enormous benefits will be created for our two peoples,ā€ Netanyahu said following their meeting. Bolsonaro said he wants to increase economic and security bonds between Brazil and Israel. ā€œMore than partners, we will be brothers,ā€ he said. Netanyahu and his wife, Sara, will be staying in Rio until Tuesday, when they will fly to Brasilia for the inauguration of the new president. The pr...

News::Notore Chemicals records N2bn loss in 2018

Notore Chemical Industries Plc has recorded a N2.01bn loss in its 2018 financial year. The financial statements of the company, which was made available to the Nigerian Stock Exchange on Thursday, showed that the companyā€™s finance cost of N10.8bn made the company record the N2.01bn loss, compared with a profit of N8.7bn in 2017. An analysis of the financial statements showed that the companyā€™s total revenue of N26.8bn reduced by 25.2 per cent when compared to the N35.9bn recorded in the same period in 2017. The company said in a statement on Friday that it expected its revenue to improve in 2019 after the completion of its plant Turn-Around-Maintenance programme. According to the audited results, Notore Chemicals recorded a reduction in the cost of sales, from N25.5bn in 2017 to N17.2bn in 2018. Administrative expenses increased from N4.4bn to N6.2bn, while sales and distribution expenses rose from N320m to N530m in 2018. The Group Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer...

Politics:::President endorses Abiodun as Ogun guber candidate

Image
Update:: Addressing State House correspondents after the meeting, which held behind closed doors, Osoba disclosed that the President endorsed the candidature of Abiodun and other contestants in the 2019 elections. Osoba further stated that Buhari raised Abiodunā€™s hand, just as he endorsed other party contestants for the forthcoming elections, assuring the APC candidates of his support towards success in the polls. ā€œMr. President has confirmed that his candidate in Ogun State is Prince Dapo Abiodun and that he has no other candidate. APC is his party in Ogun State and he has no other party in Nigeria other than the APC. ā€œHe assured us that he will personally come to Ogun State to formally present Abiodun as his candidate and assured that he is clarifying any ambiguity whatsoever of any name dropping; blackmail; misinformation that anybody maybe peddling that all elections in the country, not just Ogun, people must vote for APC and no other party. ā€œThat is the message that ...

Foreign News::Trump says build US-Mexico wall or he'll seal border

Image
Update:: President Donald Trump threatened Friday to seal the US-Mexico border "entirely" if Congress does not approve billions of dollars in funding for a wall. In a burst of early morning tweets, the president said the alternative to funding his controversial wall project would be total separation from Mexico -- including making US car companies pull out their factories based on the other side of the frontier. The threat yet again upped the ante in a political row that has led to a partial shutdown of the US government and seems set to dominate the start to the third year of Trump's presidency.

News:::Islamic State-linked militants 'seize Nigeria's Baga town'

Image
Update:: Militants linked to the Islamic State (IS) group have hoisted their flag in a Nigerian town after seizing control of it, three residents have told the BBC. Hundreds of people have fled the fishing town of Baga after the militants overran it on Wednesday night, the residents said. The militants seized weapons from a military base, and torched a naval base on the shores of Lake Chad, they said. The military denied Baga had fallen, saying the attack had been repelled. But PRNigeria, an agency well-connected with the military, quoted an intelligence officer as saying that troops had made a "tactical withdrawal" from their base after coming under attack.

Foreign News::::Indonesian volcano's lost stature

Image
Update:: The scale of the dramatic collapse of the Indonesian volcano that led to last Saturday's devastating tsunami in the Sunda Strait is becoming clear. Researchers have examined satellite images of Anak Krakatau to calculate the amount of rock and ash that sheared off into the sea. They say the volcano has lost more than two-thirds of its height and volume during the past week. Much of this missing mass could have slid into the sea in one movement. It would certainly explain the displacement of water and the generation of waves up to 5m high that then inundated the nearby coastlines of Java and Sumatra.

Foreign News::Deadly blast hits tour bus near Giza pyramids in Egypt

Image
Update:: A roadside blast has killed four people - three Vietnamese tourists and a local tour guide - and injured 12 others on a bus near the Giza pyramids in Egypt, officials say. A bomb hidden beside a wall went off as the bus carrying 14 Vietnamese tourists was passing Two people were critically wounded, Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly said. The bus hit the device after it went off its planned route without alerting security forces, Mr Madbouly added. All of the injured are Vietnamese tourists apart from the bus driver, who is Egyptian. There were no immediate reports of any group saying it was behind the attack, but Islamist militants have targeted tourists in the past.

Former President of Nigeria Shagari to be buried

Image
Update:: Former President of Nigeria, Alhaji Shehu Shagari who died Friday will be buried today in Sokoto, according to the family. His grandson, Nuradeen Mahe, told newsmen in Sokoto that the late President would be flown from Abuja to Sokoto for burial on Saturday, in accordance with Islamic rites. Shagari, who was 93, died at 6: 40 P.M at the National Hospital in Abuja. Mahe said he was flown to Abuja on Christmas Day after his health deteriorated.